From A Freshie's Point of View - Part 2 (Studies)

It’s an auditorium. A lecture theatre. A hall meant for lessons and tutorials for the masses. Even the uniform tiers of seats giveoff a nerdy and studious vibe. Then why is there music playing? And you notice that everyone is smiling and excited. It’s hard to decide which is louder – the music blaring in the background, or the chatter of the occupants who move about the hall, separate entities to the band of musicians upfront. Someone takes your hand, your attention grabbed at the reception of a warm handshake. Oooh, is that pretty booklet really for you? The person smiles at you.

Welcome to Zion Praise Harvest.

Picking up from where I left you in the first part of the series, I assume that you have attended at least one service at ZPH. If you haven’t, you must, with great haste, repent of this preposterous, unforgivable sin and- Oh, I kid, I kid.

But back to the description in the opening paragraph – the lecture hall. Besides being the place where ZPH services are held, your lecture halls play their fundamental and essential role, leading to the second tip I would like to share, that is to value and place a heavy priority on your studies. What I have found  is, yes, being sent abroad to study is a fantastic way to broaden your horizons, views, gain a firsthand experience of the cultural diversity and customs of another land. However, it’s also so important not to lose sight of your initial goal, that is, to further your education.

As nerdy as it sounds, I have found that coming back to considering why I’ve been sent to Perth in the first place always puts things in a clearer and more mature, responsible perspective. Because I know that my parents paid a whole sum of money to get me here and into an educational institution, I’m  of the opinion that academic excellence always comes first, but that if I can (and you will, fear not!) gain other experiences and life lessons, that’s always a bonus.

At this point I can pretty much sit back and cringe as I re-read everything that I’ve typed. Yes, dear reader, even I haven’t come to terms with how nerdy and square I come across as. And I’m not saying that you should stow your camera away, hang up your dancing shoes, decline every offer to hang out with friends, and Heaven forbid, dare to even dream of taking a road trip to explore the country.  It’s about balance, which I will elaborate further on, later in this article.

Now that I’ve got you thinking of things of the academic and studious variety, perhaps you’re breaking out into cold sweat, nervously glancing at the whole barrage of assignments, tests, and projects you’re expected to produce by the end of the semester- and it’s just one semester! Worry not, as I share a little secret with you – it’s near impossible to fail a unit unless you really just couldn’t be bothered with the subject. Because so long as you perform decently in all your course work, attend lectures and sit for the necessary exams, it is actually difficult to fail. Having said that, I by no means guarantee that you’ll pass if you’re out late partying when you’ve an assignment due the next morning. Keep at your work consistently and you’ll definitely pass.




However, if you’re dissatisfied with merely passing, let us return to Aristotle’s eudaimonia for pointers on raising the performance level (if you have no clue what this is, check our Su-Lyn’s earlier post!). Two important factors are knowledge and balance. So if you’ve taken up the eudaimonia challenge, which I strongly encourage you to, here are more details to assist you in that effort

Knowledge, part of Aristotle’s eudaimonia was a quest for rationale and enlightenment, so that an individual may be equipped to make the rational decision, that virtuous and right actions become logical and natural to the individual. Applicable to all students such as ourselves, this earnest striving for wisdom, whatever your major or degree, causes us to be increasingly efficient, professional, and skilled in our future professions.

Eudaimonia also operates on the Principle of the Means. Likened to establishing a sense of balance, this principle says that one is to settle for a mean value, one that is neither lacking or in excess. For example, courage (an approved virtue) sits between cowardice (lack) and foolhardiness (excess). Even as you do so with virtues and moral deliberation, consider applying it to your life and daily activities. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, but Jack would also be an utter dunce to play all day and end up with no work or future.





If I am worrying or making you anxious, do forgive me. My goal was to make you only a tiny bit uncomfortable. (Grin)

But in all good intentions, I do hope that this article was of any use to you, if only to tickle your mind a little. And with that, I shall leave you with an assurance that transcends not only whatever little of my experience, but sometimes even defies logic and natural capabilities and expectations-

“For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.”
-Proverbs 2:10

This is an assurance from an unfailing God. Claim this promise for not only your studies, but for your learning voyage through life, allow Him to knock memory into your head, get your way round difficult concepts, with a wisdom that teaches, unravels, reveals, enlightens, and inspires you in ways you never even thought you were open to or capable of.

Written by blog writer, 
~Su-Lyn~

Have a comment, question or suggestion? Email us at uwalive@gmail.com!
0 Responses