40hr Famine - What's it all about?


Today, I woke up to a faulty Blackberry whose backlight decided not to light up anymore. And I tell Sarah-Ann, my bestfriend, I hate my blackberry, I’m gonna get the iPhone 4. And now, as I sit here typing on my 2 year-old MacBook, whilst also being very annoyed at how laggy it is, I think to myself, I need a new laptop.

But HALT! Before you decide to go Ew, spoilt brat! or Ha, it’s Vera, what do you expect? I think you might want to reflect on yourself. Like it or not, we’re ALL guilty of that. And as I proceed into le state de self réflexion, a medley of regretfulness and remorse consumes me. 

Within two minutes, I could come up with a gazillion things I absolutely detest, ten of which include:

  1. Being Fat 
  2. Waking up early in the morning 
  3. Studying 
  4. Exercising 
  5. Eating Vegetables 
  6. Doing laundry 
  7. Feeling left out 
  8. Traffic Jams 
  9. Being controlled by my parents 
  10. Mess & filth 


Then something began to blow my mind.


THERE ARE PEOPLE DYING BECAUSE THEY’RE TOO SKINNY AND I HATE BEING FAT?!! SOME PEOPLE CAN’T EVEN WAKE UP THE NEXT DAY AND I HATE WAKING UP EARLY?!! SOME PEOPLE CAN’T EVEN AFFORD EDUCATION AND I HATE STUDYING!!! SOME PEOPLE DON’T EVEN HAVE THE ENERGY TO SIT UP AND I HATE EXERCISING????! THERE ARE PEOPLE DYING OF STARVATION AND I HATE EATING VEGETABLES! THERE ARE SOME WHO DON’T EVEN HAVE CLOTHES AND I HATE DOING LAUNDRY!!! SOME PEOPLE DON’T EVEN KNOW HOW IT FEELS TO HAVE A FRIEND AND I HATE BEING LEFT OUT AMONGST FRIENDS?? SOME PEOPLE HAVE NEVER EVER SAT IN A CAR BEFORE AND I HATE TRAFFIC JAMS!!! SOME PEOPLE DON’T EVEN HAVE PARENTS AND I HATE BEING CONTROLLED BY MINE?! SOME PEOPLE LIVE IN SLUMPS AND I HATE MY ROOM BEING MESSY?!!

??!!!!?!?LOSS!??!?!?!?!??!?!?
??!!!!?!?!??!FOR?!?!??!?!?
??!!!!?!?WORDS!??!?!?!?!??!?!?

So, just as a picture speaks a thousand words, here’s one to sum it all up:


Except, mine will look more of something like this:


Now now, on a more serious note, THIS is the kind of world we live in today. We can’t afford to go to Europe for a holiday and we think the world’s crumbling down on us. We put on 3 kilograms and we feel it’s the biggest problem in the world. We don’t have enough money to buy the latest Louis Vuitton bag and we think life is so unfair. 


Yet on the other extreme of the spectrum, we have over 1 billion people who don’t even have the basic necessities of life! Things like water, food, and a home are foreign to them. We ARE indeed very blessed pals, but that doesn’t give us the right to forget about the less fortunate. And before we fall deeper into this trap, let us remember that whatever we have is all God’s and not ours to keep, but ours to SHARE. 


I believe that 40 hour famine is not only an annual fund-raising event but a life lesson. So let us take this opportunity to learn to really appreciate every bit of whatever we have and share God’s blessings upon us with others. That said, it is my prayer for us all that a burden be placed in our hearts for the billion over souls who need us. 

No doubt, we cannot do everything, but we can do SOMETHING
And that starts with 40-hour famine! 
Have you signed up yet?


*40hr Famine booklets are available outside SSLT after UWA Live! Come to the booth or approach your Cell Leaders if you have any enquires! *

Written by blog writer, 
~Vera~

Have a comment, question or suggestion? Email us at uwalive@gmail.com!
Labels:
0 Responses