From A Freshie's Point of View - Part 3 (Blend in or Stand Out?)


You probably don’t know this, but yours truly isn’t a UWA student. However, I am probably the university’s biggest fan and would definitely go there, if only to be amidst the gorgeous, sprawling campus and all its aged charm. Anyway, favour me with your attention as I walk you through my (imaginary) first day at the university you’ve probably come to affectionately refer to as “U-Dub”.

Thank goodness winter’s weaning off, the nasty chill easing its way out the back door of the season. It’s lovely outside, with blue skies dotted with puffs of clouds, the sun feeling comfortably warm, an amazing remedy to the breeze that often causes you to shiver uncontrollably. Perhaps I’ll do what all sun-loving Aussies do- lie on the grass and just unwind, relax in the brilliant sunshine. Admittedly, I wouldn’t mind exploring the rest of the campus, maybe sit and revel in the stillness and silence of the library, taking in the novelty of the aged shelves and even the worn tomes that sit atop them.  Nah. I couldn’t be bothered moving from where I am, sprawled out in the sun, a spectator to the symphony of the fountain, birds, even the whistling wind. Was there ever a day as perfect as this? 


But wait. What’s wrong with this picture?

The imaginary me frowns slightly at this intrusion, exploring the ideas of what could be amiss. Deciding that it’s just some mild paranoia playing up, I lay back again, looking up at the sky. “Hey,” I say, lifting my hand to point upwards. “That cloud looks like a- ”

Oh.

Blushing, I purse my lips together, as if to eradicate all traces of my monologue.
Because there isn’t anyone I could’ve been talking to (aka, I realised I was talking to myself out loud...embarrassing!).

“It’s very possible to go through an entire course at uni and still be invisible.”

If you’ve read enough from me, you’ll probably be aware that I’m not out to scare you silly, but when my cousin said those words to me at the very beginning of my university experience, I never considered how true they could be. And believe me; I’m glad that he pointed it out.
Of course there isn’t anything wrong with exploring and unravelling the expanse of impressive scenery, to take a moment to appreciate the spectacular architecture and whatever attributes of the campus that strike your fancy. And of course lying in the sun in blissful contentment is certainly no crime against humanity. But what is worrisome would be a lack of human companionship.

“Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.”  -Matthew 28:19, NLT

Now I’m sure there are few of us who would rather be alone than with at least one companion. But if not for yourself, may I suggest that you step up and be social for the sake of your faith? As ambassadors of Christ on this earth we’re called to be bold and steadfast, out there and not hiding behind the person in front of us, hoping to go unnoticed and unobserved.

Yes, I do realize that not all of us are social butterflies who grace the world with their fluttering ins and outs, but consider this: wouldn’t it be sad if you had been in a class for (at least) three years and no one knew you? That they could look at their graduation photo years later and wonder “Hmm... who was that?”. 


And perhaps you’re shy, and of course, understandably so. I mean, you’re away from home, from your closest support groups, from the people who have come to know and love you, into an entirely new and socially-dry place. But think of this as a chance. A situation overflowing with opportunity and possibilities. Think of all the new people and cultures you can be exposed to and learn from.
Think of the lives you could touch.

“In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.”- Matthew 5:16, ESV.

Even having said that, we, the lights that should illuminate and display the form of our Saviour seem to be dim and waning. Perhaps we even put our hands over our brightly-burning flames hoping that being a little bit more conservative, low-key, and to just simply blend in with the crowd will allow us to be more socially accepted and inept.

“No one lights a lamp and then covers it with a bowl or hides it under a bed. A lamp is placed on a stand, where its light can be seen by all who enter the house.” Luke 8:16, NLT.

And even if you may reflect internally and consider your own faults and failings (not that I am to judge), you may think that your light is weird.
It’s awkward. It sways funny, and goes a weird colour when in certain conditions. My hair isn’t straight enough, my teeth are too crookedI’m not smart enough. My accent is weird and I have issues speaking in public. How can I show the world a flame like this? How can a tiny feeble light like this possibly light the world?

Well, firstly, consider that you’re not alone. Like I’ve mentioned in the other instalment of the series, besides an awesome and all powerful God,  you’ve brothers and sisters in Christ who are always here to help you along, to support, encourage, and motivate you. Also bear in mind that your light isn’t of you, but of God. A God who is flawless and entirely lovable. You may see flaws in you that you reckon would repulse and put off others, but you’re perfect, complete, whole, and more than just presentable. You are “fearfully and wonderfully made” (Psalm 139:14), the flawless craftsmanship of the master craft man, ready to emerge and not only be accepted, but be applauded by and marvelled at by others. 
...So how many new friends have you made?

Look who’s stepping out today. ;)

Yours in all companionship,
~Su-lyn Y.~ =)

Have a comment, question or suggestion? Email us at uwalive@gmail.com!
0 Responses