Happy Father's Day!!

Another year has passed, and before you know it, we’re in the busy busy busy month of September! With so many events held by our church in the span of a month from mid august to September, let us not forget about the Australian Father’s day which was last weekend!

How long has it been since you last said “I LOVE YOU” to your dad? When was the last time you spoke to him on the phone? Has it been too long to remember the last time you hugged your dad tightly? Did you notice that the grays threading through his hair are more obvious now?

It’s been 9 long months since I last saw my father. And yes, you’re right, I really do miss him badly. How I wish I can just hop on a plane right now and pay him a visit! But, the truth of it is, I can’t. What I can do instead is to remember to call home and share my life here in Perth as a student with him.

My dad is a strict parent, and not one that expresses himself well. There are times, when I see my friends playing or joking with their fathers, I find myself being jealous and envious of that comfortable relationship they have with their dads. Thoughts like “why isn’t my father like that?” or “ why does my dad not do what XYZ’s dad does for her?” and sadly also, “if only my dad was more like Uncle ABC” runs through my head. Even though he prepares breakfast for me every single morning, takes care of me when I am ill and works long hours for my tuition fees… I never really saw what he has been doing for our family. I was completely blindsided by the jealousy in me.

Only when I came to Perth did I notice the things my dad has been doing for me. Now, there isn’t anyone who gets up at 5 to prepare breakfast for me, to fetch me to school, or drive me around to visit the shops etc. I’ve come to realize that my father’s love is like sand. Each and every grain looks so small and insignificant, but when accumulated, it overwhelms.


Father’s day is but just a day, but being a dad is a lifetime vocation. I still recall my Sunday School teacher telling us that we have 2 fathers in our life, our Heavenly Father, and our earthly father. Our earthly father, was chosen by our heavenly Father to protect and nurture us. He is an angel as well as a servant chosen by our dear Heavenly Father.

“You gave me life and showed me your unfailing love. My life was preserved by your care.” [Job 10:12]

“He will love you and bless you, and he will give you many children. He will give fertility to your land and your animals. When you arrive in the land he swore to give your ancestors, you will have large harvests of grain, new wine, and olive oil, and great herds of cattle, sheep, and goats.” [Deuteronomy 7:13]

God blesses us abundantly; with our lovely parents, our friends, and most importantly, life. And because of Him, I have the inspiration and opportunity to share about this with you guys.

As a child, all we do is receive and benefit from our father’s actions. Well, it is time to remember that dads (manly as they are) also need our love and encouragement! Remember to say “thank you” and “l love you” to your fathers, you never know how much it means to them!

God Bless! :)

Written by blog writer,
Mary-Ann


Have a question or suggestion? Email us at uwalive@gmail.com!
0 Responses