The tragic curse of Humans.
I make a wager. I bet you can’t guess what this curse is. If you indeed can without any sort of cheating (I will ask you to vouch in the name of the Lord hah), I will treat you to your favourite BBT.

At first I was confident enough to say dinner but I realized there are some really smart people here (not that they could guess what the curse is, but they can be really smart in cheating me!), and that I didn’t really have that much $$. So enough said.

Had your try? Read on.

It is not wine, money, women (whoops, did I just say that?) or song, although having caught in any of these long arms would lead you to ruin. But here lies our greatest and most commonly made flaw.

We don’t come to God enough during our highs. (mountain top moments, not drug highs … duh)


But it is true isn’t it? I mean at some point we will thank God for the blessing, the end of the day, the end of the week … or for some, until someone has to point it out – usually to those who grumble that their lives are a slump.

Sometimes I imagine how God must feel and for some of you, you have seen this scene in the countless drama shows of our time. He left a wanted gift at your office table, sent flowers to your home when you needed happiness, answered a desperate prayer and we get overjoyed at the gift rather than the giver.

And all this He sees, while being right by our sides, never complaining, never tries to acknowledge His deeds. Just joyful that we are happy, but wishing we did see the biggest gift wasn’t in what we hold, but in whom we are held by.

They say it is in the low times, the valleys, the desert that we seek and find God. Sometimes it is the only times we find Him, and when we do, like naïve children, we demand an answer for the drought. Or worse, our interpretation of a conversation/relationship with God is us complaining and asking Him to either get something for us or do things for us.


Friends, let’s take a lesson from the bible. 
In times of prosperity be joyful, but in times of adversity consider this: God has made one as well as the other, so that no one can discover what the future holds.” Ecc 7:14

Let me paraphrase. We cannot understand why God uses adversity and prosperity as He does, but a man or woman of faith trusts God nonetheless. Or as Wiersbe said, “God balances our lives by giving us enough blessings to keep us happy and enough burdens to keep us humble.”

So true ain’t it?

So remember, when the good times row, let God to be the first person you thank, and when the bad ones hit, stop complaining.

Oh … and do let me know if I owe anyone BBT :)


From the land where people think a UTE is a baby goat, 
The Stranded Homesick

Have a question or suggestion? Email us at uwalive@gmail.com!
0 Responses